BYOD - REQUIREMENTS/RECOMMENDATIONSIn order to offer students the best experience possible with BYOD, the School City of Hobart has developed a list of requirements and recommendations.
NETWORK ACCESS - REQUIREMENTS
Devices MUST have the following OS versions in order to connect to the School City of Hobart wireless network (WPA2 802.1x PEAP v0 authentication).
- Windows XP SP2 or better
- Windows Vista (any version)
- Windows 7 (any version)
- Mac OSX 10.3 (Panther) or better
- iPod Touch iOS 4.0 or better
- iPad iOS 4.0 or better
Note: iPhone 1 and 2 or Blackberry phones are not supported.
HARDWARE SPECIFICATIONS - RECOMMENDATION
Most of the School City of Hobart’s software is web-based and will run on most pieces of hardware. However, for best results, we recommend the following:
- CPU - Dual/Multi-Core Processor, 2GHz or higher
- Memory - 4 GB
- Hard Drive - 250 GB or more
- Optical Drive - DVD Burner or CD-RW/DVD-R for media creation
- USB - multiple USB 2.0 ports
- Display - 14” minimum
- Video - Video Card with 128 MB or more
- Wireless - 802.11g/n
- Operating System - Windows 7 or Mac OSX
- Battery - Recommend extended battery or backup battery if possible
ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE - RECOMMENDATION
The School City of Hobart STRONGLY recommends the use of an antivirus software on all devices with up-to-date virus definitions. A list of free antivirus programs can be found in the Software & Codecs section.
SOFTWARE CODECS AND APPS - RECOMMENDATION
The School City of Hobart recommends keeping all codec software up-to-date on all devices in order to run web-based software. These codecs include Shockwave, Flash, Java, etc. A list of these codecs, along with links to recommended software and apps, can be found in the Software & Codecs section.